Low Carb Lasagna recipe
Low Carb Lasagna Recipe
There is just something so homey about a nice plate of lasagna. It almost brings me back to my childhood when my mom would make some of the best lasagnas ever. Hers were always so cheesy and savory. Being low carb now I don’t get to enjoy the noodles of old and I get a wee bit tired of having to cut eggplant or zucchini into “noodles” though they are some of my favorites. This low carb lasagna recipe is still layered but it uses spinach or grated zucchini as a layer instead of noodle shapes. The change is delicious and doesn’t at all detract from the lasagna experience. Most of all, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and that it helps you on your weightloss journey.
Low Carb Lasagna recipe
- 2 LBS Grass-fed Beef (or substitute Italian Sausage)
- 1 24-Ounce Jar No Sugar Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 8-Ounce Package Fresh Bella Mushrooms
- 2 TBS Oregano
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 14-Ounce Container Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 8-Ounce Package Cream Cheese
- 1 24-Ounce Package Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 Ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- First, thaw the package of frozen spinach and allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat over medium-high heat. I add a bit of water to the meat so that it has a more crumbly texture which I prefer. The water will cook out fast enough. Drain any fat after the meat is browned.
- While browning, add the seasonings to the meat and combine.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, place the spinach in a colander and squeeze as much water out of it as possible. This is important otherwise the lasagna will be watery and look awful though it will still taste okay.
- Place the ricotta cheese, eggs, and cream cheese in a bowl and use a beater or immersion blender to get it smooth and lump free.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with coconut oil.
- Place a layer of meat sauce on the bottom of the dish (use half the meat sauce) and smooth it.
- Slice the mushrooms and arrange on top of the meat sauce.
- On top of this, carefully dollop the half cream cheese mixture and smooth.
- Layer spinach on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Place a layer of the mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top of this.
- Repeat the layers and top them with a shake of the parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Finally, bake the low carb lasagna for about 45 minutes and until it is nicely bubbling.
Low carb lasagna is a delicious treat that everyone in my family enjoys during the cooler days. No one whines about the spinach in it which is nice. And if you do have a complete spinach hater you might try substituting grated zucchini that has been sauteed and drained. There is less green flavor but all of the goodness of a yummy vegetable. You can find my recipe for low carb zucchini lasagna: here. Therefore it is almost as easy to make as the low carb lasagna recipe above and very delicious. I hope you enjoy this low carb treat.
What is your favorite comfort meal when the air starts to chill?